My Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

what's cooking chicks?

Woohoo!  The {ippity} chicks are focusing on one {ippity} set today 
Picture of What's Cooking?

Do you have those days that you aren't sure what to prepare for dinner?
Well I do, and I decided to take some action...I re-purposed this box to make this recipe card holder.  It's going to be a 'pick a category and pull a card (no peeking)' to see what we are having for dinner. My son and I have a deal that whatever cards we pull...that's what we are having for dinner!
I used all Crate Papers "Farmhouse" line of papers and trims. 
I love how my little chef came out all paper pieced with these papers, 
and I colored his face and tray with Copics...ca-ute!!! 

Oh, did you notice the mustache, does it look a little thick? LOL...it's black baker's twine from Kim's Etsy Endless Inkabilities shop.  I used pop dots to bring a little dimension when I paper pieced him.

I was inspired by the shapes and lots of similar colors from 
Click on the link above and go join in...you've got two weeks!

Here's what the box looked like before...
it was from a wedding... 

 Here's what I did... 
 


I made six index cards: main dish, side dish, gravy/sauce, bread/biscuits, desserts, and drinks.  
These labels are 4x3 and all I did was cut them apart from the one Crate Paper sheet they come on.  Then I typed and printed the names for the cards, cut them apart and pasted them in pieces.  I finished them off with the Crate Paper Trims!
I also cut out extra pieces of 4x3 cardstock to hand write my recipes and then put behind each category.

In this photo, you can see how I staggered the trims on the cards, as they separate each category.

I looooove this line of paper...
Crate Paper,
Farmhouse.

Thanks for letting me share my creation!
So do you know 'What's Cooking?' for dinner tonight?
*smile*
Have a fantastic {ippity} kind of day!
~YOUR {ippity} Chick Jen~

7 comments:

Janice said...

Wonderful idea and it turned out too, too cute!

Julie S said...

I definitely have those days (frozen pizza, anyone?). What a great project.

Unknown said...

THIS is such a great idea! I have those days almost EVERYDAY.

This would be a GREAT gift...especially for someone who is newly wed or newly on their own, or newly into cooking, or newly a mom and needs desparate quick thinking ideas, or needs inspiration, because they are over worked (like I am)!

Thanks for such a fun idea...and AWESOME that you showed how you made it.

Karen T said...

Great idea! I love that paper line too... and you've really put it to good use!

Lindsey said...

This is a really brilliant repurposing of that box, Jen, totally fun!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Jenny! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Sherri Everett Thompson said...

Jen, this is just too adorable! I love the colors and especially the little twine moustache! I also thought that I was already a follower, but I realized that I haven't been here for a while! Time to remedy that. :-)